[Catalyst] OT: mod_fastcgi vs. mod_perl (was uri_for() question)

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Mon Mar 27 23:55:53 CEST 2006

Scott Karns wrote:
> Matt,
>
> If you don't mind, I (and other relative neophytes,
> I'm sure) would like to hear you and anyone else
> interested in chiming in, expand on your preference
> for mod_fastcgi over mod_perl when running on apache.

I'll bite. Mod_perl, while it has its place, is way too complicated for
most setups. There are a number of things that can bite you in the ass
for no good reason...memory footprint, mem shareing, global/local
variables, etc.

I used to use mod_perl to host my Catalyst sites, but I kept having
problems with Image::Magick segfaulting mod_perl/Apache. I've since
moved to mod_fastcgi and never looked back.

Based in fact or not, running a Cat site in FCGI feels more native for a
cat app. It usually just works...where running a cat app under mod_perl
always felt like a crap shoot for me...the versions of mod_perl, the MP
engines, etc....

Just my $0.02
-=Chris