[Catalyst] RFC: HTML::Widget / Ajax / Catalyst

Jonathan Tweed jonathan at tweed.name
Thu May 4 21:19:55 CEST 2006

Hi All

> 04.05.2006 17:13 Brandon Black:
>
>> I'd really like to see it also cover
>> thigns like js-based client-side form validation that is
>> automatically
>> generated from the same rules as the server-side validation for the
>> same form, etc.
>
> That will never work, there are always callback constraints and
> things like that.
> I'd prefer to use Ajax and validate server side using the original
> Perl constraints.

I disagree. I've been working a lot with ASP.NET and one of the nice
things about it are it's validation controls. You define things once
and it does both client and server side validation. Now of course
custom callbacks are harder, but you could make people write a
Javascript version for client side, or if that's not possible use
AJAX in those cases only.

> Yes it's a few more requests but will minimize user frustration,
> don't you hate it when you submit a form and it just reappears with
> fields marked red?
> Server-side Ajax validation would eleminate that completely.

My reading of what Brandon wrote would eliminate the calls to the
server entirely, which is even better again.

Cheers
Jonathan