[Catalyst] RFC: HTML::Widget / Ajax / Catalyst

Len Jaffe lenjaffe at jaffesystems.com
Thu May 4 22:34:22 CEST 2006

> > 04.05.2006 17:13 Brandon Black:
> >
> >> I'd really like to see it also cover
> >> thigns like js-based client-side form validation
> that is
> >> automatically
> >> generated from the same rules as the server-side
> validation for the
> >> same form, etc.
> >
> > That will never work, there are always callback
> constraints and
> > things like that.
> > I'd prefer to use Ajax and validate server side
> using the original
> > Perl constraints.

If you make an ajax call for each form field, then you
need to code individual field checks on the server
side, and you still want/need the ability to check a
form in one call.  This has a tendency to violate the
DRY priciple.

I like the
individual-client-side/whole-form-on-the-server model.
So that's my two cents anyway.

Len.

Speaking of DRY, do we have an equally quaint
retrofitted wording for the opposite TLA - WET?
Wrote Eleven Times?

Leonard A. Jaffe     lenjaffe at jaffesystems.com
Leonard Jaffe Computer Systems Consulting Ltd.
Columbus, OH, USA 614-404-4214 F: 530-380-7423