[Catalyst] Shared database handles

Dave Hodgkinson davehodg at gmail.com
Sun May 7 21:42:05 CEST 2006

On 7 May 2006, at 20:18, Eduardo Anuel wrote:

> Hi, my name is Eduardo Anuel, I've been using catalyst on a web
> application since three months ago, about two weeks ago I decided to
> put the application on apache using mod_perl and I started getting
> weird errors with the database, snooping around this list I found
> somebody who had a similar problem, this is the thread:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/catalyst/users/2324#2324 .
>
> There is an explanation to the issue there and a solution for Class
> DBI, but sadly in my application I use mostly pure DBI with the
> Catalyst::Model::DBI module, I tried to adapt the solution for CDBI to
> my Model on DBI but I hasn't been able to acomplish it, if anybody has
> any thoughts about it or knows how can I work around this problem I
> would really appreciate your help.

Sounds like a database connection is getting made on apache startup
and getting shared. Not good. In normal use, each apache process has
a database connection. (Which is why you hide it behind mod_proxy/
rewrite
or squid and limit MaxClients to, like 5 or so).

Of course, posting your "weird errors" would help the guessing
enourmously.

--
Dave Hodgkinson - Music photography
http://www.hodgkinson.org/