[Catalyst] Project Name

Nathan Kurz nate at verse.com
Wed May 10 00:49:03 CEST 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 09:24:31AM +1000, Kieren Diment wrote:
> Mass renaming is quite simple on a system that has find:
>
> from the top level of your application:
>
> find . -exec perl -p -i -e 's/MyApp/MyNewApp/g' {} \;
>
> Tada! Fixed.

Have you tried this?  I'd guess that at the least one at the least
would have to rename all the files in the hierarchy to agree with the
new names and change all the lower case versions so the scripts and
documentation are correct.  Both are 'easy', but seem fragile.

But in any case, your answer would be to name a signup sample app
something like 'SignupSample' and let the user take care of renaming
everything before extending it?  That is the current state, but I'm
not finding it to work too well.

Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> writes:
> I've always found using a generic namespace for generic components
> and then just creating an empty subclass of them works fine.

I think this works quite well for the core components, but I'm not
sure it is great for a sample app.  I'm guessing that rather than
subclassing the sample and carrying it along with the new application,
that people would prefer just modifying it and being free of baggage.

Take for example hkclark's tutorial app: would one really want to
subclass it, or to just standardize on calling everything 'MyApp' and
extend from there?  I'm thinking that the standardized name might work
better, and perhaps could even be internally enforced in some way.

--nate