[Catalyst] OT: Windows bashing (was: Catalyst for (really) big applications)

Brandon Black blblack at gmail.com
Fri May 19 17:02:23 CEST 2006

On 5/19/06, A. Pagaltzis <pagaltzis at gmx.de> wrote:
> * Marcello Romani <mromani at ottotecnica.com> [2006-05-19 14:50]:
> > Are you implying windows is not a real OS ?
>
> That does not need to be implied.

I'll make the jump to some future version of Windows in a heartbeat,
so long as...

1) It comes with a fully POSIX-compliant environment / shell / API.
2) Freely available complete development environment (C/C++ compilers,
documentation, debugging, IDE, system profiling tools, process tracing
tools, network sniffers, etc).
3) Source code for the whole thing freely available, and can be easily
modified and rebuilt to locally enhance/bugfix as neccesary.
3) Can be installed sans-GUI for servers and small devices.
4) Costs me the bandwidth to download it legally, but nothing more.

I'll re-evaluate my complete disdain for it and avoidance of it at all
costs when they make some significant progress on that list.

-- Brandon