[Catalyst] OT: Windows bashing

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri May 19 21:25:55 CEST 2006

Brandon Black wrote:
> On 5/19/06, A. Pagaltzis <pagaltzis at gmx.de> wrote:
>> * Marcello Romani <mromani at ottotecnica.com> [2006-05-19 14:50]:
>>> Are you implying windows is not a real OS ?
>> That does not need to be implied.
>>

> I'll make the jump to some future version of Windows in a heartbeat,
> so long as...

Note:  Not defending any OS here, I prefer/use Linux myself.

www.cygwin.com

> 2) Freely available complete development environment (C/C++ compilers,
> documentation, debugging, IDE, system profiling tools, process tracing
> tools, network sniffers, etc).

www.cygwin.com

though the IDE part is a little harder, as are the process tracing,
sniffers, ...

www.cygwin.com

www.cygwin.com

www.cygwin.com

> I'll re-evaluate my complete disdain for it and avoidance of it at all
> costs when they make some significant progress on that list.

I have run Catalyst under Cygwin.  Works fine.  Same with Perl and many
other tools.  Works great.

If you have to use windows, and you have no other choice, cygwin is a
great thing to use.

(FWIW:  I don't own any stock in RHAT, MSFT, or others)