[Catalyst] Catalyst speed test results

Wade.Stuart at fallon.com Wade.Stuart at fallon.com
Mon May 22 20:03:30 CEST 2006

catalyst-bounces at lists.rawmode.org wrote on 05/22/2006 12:32:30 PM:

> We have created two implementations of the dump: one using Catalyst (as
we
> understand it based on the tutorials, documentation and videos found on
the
> web), and the other one, the pure Perl reference implementation, which
> minimizes overhead by using as few Perl modules as possible (IO::Socket,
> DBD::Pg and FCGI), is hand-optimized, and inlines as much code as
possible.

Class::DBI is slow.  DBIx::Class is faster,  if you are looking for an
apples to apples test try using your hand optimized DBI in your model
instead of an ORM.  This will allow you to test Catalyst's speed instead of
Class::DBI.

ORM will always be slower on average than hand tuned SQL.

Your view looks like you are using your own TT/stash, Catalyst does this
with its default View:TT.  Also,  using tt, make sure you have compile
cache turned on and are using the compiled version of TT.

I do not see your other code that is 50x faster?  Are you using TT,
sessions what else is different?