[Catalyst] Catalyst "speed test"

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Mon May 22 20:14:58 CEST 2006

Szabo Peter wrote:

> -- Does our test code we use Catalyst and other Perl modules the right way?
>    Should we replace certain modules with better, faster alternatives?
>    Should we use the modules a different way to make it faster?

You're using Class::DBI, which is (a) nothing to do with Catalyst, (b)
known to be the single slowest perl ORM in existence.

You're also using a Loader, which means your CDBI setup is almost
certainly not optimally configured thus reducing your speed still further.

And finally, Class::DBI is nothing to do with Catalyst.

This is ... silly in the extreme. Try benchmarking like-for-like - e.g.
plain FastCGI+DBIx::Class versus Catalyst+TT+DBIx::Class (Class::DBI is
strongly recommended against by all of the Catalyst core team these days).