[Catalyst] Slowness on test server caused by reverse DNS lookups

Marcello Romani mromani at ottotecnica.com
Tue May 30 17:53:56 CEST 2006

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior ha scritto:
> On 5/30/06, Marcello Romani <mromani at ottotecnica.com> wrote:
>> I had a problem that is possibly related to this: when trying to access
>> the local test server, the browser requests seemed to reach it only
>> after a rather lengthy delay (5 seconds or so), but if I disabled the
>> LAN interface everything was instantaneous.
>
> Under Windows, something like this (i.e. an annoying delay) happens
> when you're running the builtin server with "-k" and using IE as the
> browser. Unfortunately, if you don't use the "-k" option, IE doesn't
> play nice with it and everything blows up. But this shouldn't have
> anything to do with LAN interfaces, at least in theory.
>
> If you're ever able to test under these same conditions, it would be
> nice to know if the problem was also present when using FireFox as the
> browser.

First of all thanks for your reply.

No, unfortunately I don't have the machine nor the code at hand anymore,
but I can tell you for sure that the same problem was happening both
with IE and Firefox, and I was running the test server _without_ the -k
option.

Diabling the lan interface always solved the problem for both broswers,
even without restarting mysapp_server.pl.

> -Nilson Santos F. Jr.

Marcello Romani
Responsabile IT
Ottotecnica s.r.l.