[Catalyst] (OT) xslt/xml, lisp ...

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue May 30 22:22:33 CEST 2006

Daniel McBrearty wrote:
> This is an offshoot of a previous thread that touched on this ...
>
> I don't know anything about functional languages, but I'm in the process
> of picking it up (via "little lisper" and scheme). It's pretty
> interesting shit, and that puts it mildly.

Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programming is also awesome, as
is Paul Graham's deconstruction of the original McCarthy lisp paper.

> I've seen some references to similarities between XML etc and lisp
> before, but haven't a clue what this means. Anyone care to shed some
> friendly links or a few lines of explanation ... ?

the SXSLT/SSAX libraries (I think on sourceforge) are a bloody good way
of seeing this; also maybe some of my more experimental BAST bits.

The key thing is that with Lisp there's zero distinction between program
and data - which makes stuff like first-class macro-ing of stuff much
easier to do. XSLT is sort-of like this - I've done XSLT sheets that
generate XSLT sheets before now.

> for people that have really gotten to grips with FP/lisp, has it changed
> the way you write or see perl much?

Yes. YES! I'm not sure I can find words to quantify how much getting
your head round lisp will change your outlook on any and all programming.