[Catalyst] Newbie needs help with tutorial

Marcello Romani mromani at ottotecnica.com
Fri Nov 3 14:17:38 GMT 2006

Richard Wolfe ha scritto:
> Thanks JT, I finally got it going. I still never figured out exactly
> where the problem was. I just started over again, but this time tried
> starting the server after each step so I could see exactly where I was
> getting hung up. And of course, this time it worked just fine.
>
> I also took your advice of checking out the entire finished app and
> getting it up and running, so at least I'd have something to compare to.
> That has already been helpful.
>
> Installing and getting up and running was certainly, uh, challenging. Is
> it normal that everytime you take two steps (in the tutorial) you have
> to stop and install three more modules from CPAN before you can restart
> the test server?

Catalyst (and cat plugins) tries to reuse as much as possible from CPAN.
It jus makes more sense to wrap an existing (and possible good) CPAN
module to make it work inside Cat that to rebuild its functionality from
scratch.

This is, in short, the main reason why almost everything in Catalyst
requires you to install a load of dependencies (in fact this decreases
rapidly after the first non trivial app).

I belive there are packages (Task::Catalyst ?) that fetch the most
obvious plugins (and their dependencies) all at once. Don't know more
about this because it's been a while since I did a fresh cat install.

HTH

> Thanks,
> Richard
>

>> Well, it sort of looks to my untrained eye like some component of your
>> schema is loading either the main Schema class or something else.
>>
>> In your MyAppDB.pm file, what do you have in load_classes? If it's
>> blank, IIRC it will automatically load all the modules in the MyAppDB
>> directory. Perhaps you have something in there you didn't
>> mean to have,
>> such as a copy of MyAppDB.pm? Look carefully at each of those classes,
>> and try disabling them one at a time.
>>
>> It may help to check out a copy of the finished app from svn to have
>> something to compare to.
>>
>> JT

>> Searchable archive:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst@lists.rawmode.org/