[Catalyst] Newbie needs help with tutorial

JT Justman jt at signless.com
Thu Nov 2 19:07:45 GMT 2006

Richard Wolfe wrote:
> Thanks JT, I finally got it going. I still never figured out exactly
> where the problem was. I just started over again, but this time tried
> starting the server after each step so I could see exactly where I was
> getting hung up. And of course, this time it worked just fine.

Such is life ;)

> Installing and getting up and running was certainly, uh, challenging. Is
> it normal that everytime you take two steps (in the tutorial) you have
> to stop and install three more modules from CPAN before you can restart
> the test server?

Well, I'm still pretty new at this, and that's what happened to me too
on the three installs I've done. I do see a lot of people talking about
the pain of installing Catalyst, and that's why things like 'cat in a
box' have come about. Personally, I'm used to installing things with a
lot of CPAN dependencies from my Interchange and SOAP::Lite experiences.

Remember that when you are going to deploy your app, you can put all the
dependencies into Makefile.PL and at least Module::AutoInstall will help
you get most of it out of the way in one fell swoop. I've yet to try it
on a full-fledged app, but it looks promising.

JT