[Catalyst] automatic form generation based on data models

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Nov 8 18:45:01 GMT 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 12:28:48PM -0500, marcus baker wrote:
> The one thing about Django that keeps them from looking anywhere else
> is it's ability to create data-editing forms on the fly based on the
> data model.  In an attempt to get them to consider Catalyst a little
> more, I was wondering if Catalyst has this kind of capability
> anywhere... Is this something I should take to the CDBI/DBIxC lists
> specifically?

This seems to come up often.  I have a form object where I can get a
list of form fields.  The fields know about the database relationships
so it knows what type of fields to generate -- like select lists with
the options pulled from the database.  So, it would be easy to
automatically create a form.

But, it seems like (almost) every form I've ever generated requires a
human touch to customize the form in some way.  Therefore, I've never
thought it would save me any time to have automatic form generation.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org