[Catalyst] automatic form generation based on data models

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 21:29:11 GMT 2006

Answering the question about autogenerating simple CRUD apps - there
is of course Catalyst::Example::InstantCRUD.

To the arguments that autogenerated CRUD becomes quickly crap I answer
that it is much easier to modify a working example than to code from
scratch.  You have more control of where you are heading - while with
working from scratch you are taking a long course without any
checkpoints before you reach the destination.  The long course might
look temptingly simple - but my whole experience convinces me that
usually it looks so simple only because we don't forsee too many
details.

--
Zbyszek

Big steps in software development is always

On 11/8/06, marcus baker <marcus.baker at gmail.com> wrote:
> In a primarily Perl shop I've joined, Django has become all the rage.
> Everyone into it is amazed at the templating capabilities and the
> database abstraction layer (...they obviously hadn't really done much
> with the Template Toolkit, or even heard of Class::DBI or
> DBIx::Class).  Django's all fine and lovely, but personally I still
> prefer Catalyst due to the vastness of the CPAN library I can use
> behind it.
>
> The one thing about Django that keeps them from looking anywhere else
> is it's ability to create data-editing forms on the fly based on the
> data model.  In an attempt to get them to consider Catalyst a little
> more, I was wondering if Catalyst has this kind of capability
> anywhere... Is this something I should take to the CDBI/DBIxC lists
> specifically?
>
> Thanks
> -Marcus

Zbigniew Lukasiak