[Catalyst] automatic form generation based on data models

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Wed Nov 8 22:34:35 GMT 2006

marcus baker wrote:
> In a primarily Perl shop I've joined, Django has become all the rage.
> Everyone into it is amazed at the templating capabilities and the
> database abstraction layer (...they obviously hadn't really done much
> with the Template Toolkit, or even heard of Class::DBI or
> DBIx::Class).  Django's all fine and lovely, but personally I still
> prefer Catalyst due to the vastness of the CPAN library I can use
> behind it.
>
> The one thing about Django that keeps them from looking anywhere else
> is it's ability to create data-editing forms on the fly based on the
> data model.  In an attempt to get them to consider Catalyst a little
> more, I was wondering if Catalyst has this kind of capability
> anywhere... Is this something I should take to the CDBI/DBIxC lists
> specifically?

I'm working on this for Catalyst+DBIx::Class in a project called Reaction;
it's still  a bit rough around the edges for end-user use though.

I did have a promise from one of the django devs of help stealing their admin
stuff if I'd help them bring their ORM up to the standard of DBIC (I showed
him our join torture tests at LugRadio Live and his first response was "wow")
but we seem not to have managed to hook up to do it yet.