[Catalyst] Chained actions usage and DBIC performance

Perrin Harkins perrin at elem.com
Fri Nov 10 21:10:36 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 12:08 -0200, Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior
wrote:
> On 11/10/06, Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:
> > Don't believe so, and it's audreycode so *usually* works first time. Plus I
> > know a few active users in the Cat community and it's getting lots of use in
> > Jifty, so I'm betting it's pretty solid.
>
> This makes me feel even sorrier for not being able to attend her talk
> at YAPC::SouthAmerica last week. Oh well.

Her talk about Scalar::Defer at OSCON was great.  Larry Wall and Damian
Conway were in the audience, and both of them spent most of it either
laughing or applauding.  You can see the slides (called RHOX) here:
http://pugs.blogs.com/pugs/2006/07/rhox_slides_las.html

Still, I would be careful with this module.  It works by doing a lot of
overloading and tricking perl to some degree (it blesses objects into a
package called "0" so that ref will return a false value).  It would be
a sensible precaution to make sure you have good test coverage of the
code where you use it, so that if your use of it breaks in some way in a
future perl version, you will know.

- Perrin