[Catalyst] Non-real world irrelevant benchmarks

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Thu Nov 16 13:49:43 GMT 2006

No. Six apart certainly aren't, given http://vox.com/ is a Catalyst app.

> Again, I'm not interesting in hearing about how Rails/Ruby/Django/Python
> sucks, but in facts about real performance of Catalyst.

The reality is that victori's benchmark successfully measures only the base
overhead of a request in an app with very few URL endpoints; Catalyst's
dispatch mechanism is optimised for speed of dispatch for large applications
and for allowing complex dispatch logic elegantly.

Besides which, I've never yet seen a production application (and between
Shadowcat's client portfolio I've seen not a small number thereof) where the
dispatch overhead was even statistically significant to the overall
performance - the bottleneck has always been either data retrieval or template
rendering.