[Catalyst] Non-real world irrelevant benchmarks

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior acid06 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 14:35:20 GMT 2006

On 11/16/06, Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:
> Besides which, I've never yet seen a production application (and between
> Shadowcat's client portfolio I've seen not a small number thereof) where the
> dispatch overhead was even statistically significant to the overall
> performance - the bottleneck has always been either data retrieval or template
> rendering.

This makes me wonder if these high traffic Catalyst sites are using TT
or another templating solution. If they are using TT, it should be
very helpful if someone published a sort of TT performance guide. Or
at least a bulleted list with things not to do because I'm probably
doing them all, given the current (lack of) speed from my applications
without that much traffic. Any complex (or just plain big) page will
take around 3-4 seconds to render with 90% of that time being spent
with TT. The best work around was to use one of the caching plugins
where I could, but users still have to experience crappy load times
whenever something is updated on the database.

Thankfully, it's an internal system - so it's not *that* critical.

-Nilson Santos F. Jr.