[Catalyst] Porting or not porting?

Thomas Klausner domm at cpan.org
Mon Nov 20 00:28:40 GMT 2006

Hi!

Some years ago I wrote a rather big app. It's running on mod_perl 1.0
and uses Class::DBI (plus loads of plugings), TT and some (well much)
custom-written 'controller' code.

I now have to upgrade this app to mod_perl 2.0.

I've been playing with it this morning, and suffer from the usual
effects of viewing code one has written several years ago (i.e. I try
hard not to throw up...)

So I'm starting to think if it might be easier (especially with future
updates in mind) to port the whole thing to Catalyst/DBIx::Class.

I did some Cat-things in the past and know a few things, but before I
can really start looking into porting, I need some input:

- What's the status of form handling/error checking/resubmitting?
  Are there stable, working and documented tools available?

- I will need some very fine-grained access right controls (eg for
  downloading a single item). If there isn't a Cat-solution, can I still
  use my custom mod_perl handlers?

I guess there will be more questions, but especially the first one is
rather importand and a potential show-stopper. So I'd appreciate any
feedback :-)

Thanks...

--
#!/usr/bin/perl                               http://domm.zsi.at