[Catalyst] NEXT vs SUPER in the catalyst handle_request cycle

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Nov 21 15:21:24 GMT 2006

Michael Reece wrote:
> i will, but not until the warnings in Catalyst::Plugin::C3 are less
> foreboding.

They're unlikely to get any less foreboding unless people test it and report
back - you could at least *try* loading it and provide the results ...

> but let's pretend i am talking about Class::C3 instead; my question
> still stands.
>
> should i just call next::method in all cases, or is it only appropriate
> for certain overrides?  is there an easy way to determine when to use
> one (NEXT or Class::C3) versus the other (SUPER)?

I don't remember the last time I used SUPER.

Then again, I never use the debugger, I'm of the "you can have (printf|warn)
when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers" debugging school :)