[Catalyst] Catalyst & Bricolage Integration

Perrin Harkins perrin at elem.com
Tue Nov 21 17:19:17 GMT 2006

Tobias Kremer wrote:
> Has anyone here already tried to get those two things together or has done
> something similar? Or is this just a stupid idea?

We do something similar with the Krang CMS publishing content served by
CGI::Application.  We have it write out templates and metadata for each
application ("story" in Krang terminology) in separate directories and
have apache identify which requests mod_perl should handle based on the
file name.  This means we can let people publish an app to any location
in their URL space with no changes to our config or backend.

The metadata we use is in the form of a CGI::Application stub script,
and it tells the app which controller class to run for this request and
specific settings like which fields on the form are required.

To do this kind of thing with Catalyst, you might want to just publish
little data files (XML or whatever) with your templates and set up your
web server to pass those to Catalyst.  To get the same sort of setup
where you can vary the actual controller by data published from your CMS
(e.g. message board here, newsletter signup here, etc.), you'd need to
make a minimal meta-controller to read the XML file and then forward the
request to the controller that you want to handle it.  Then you just set
up your web server to send all requests for *.xml (or *.app or whatever
you like) to your meta-controller.

- Perrin