[Catalyst] Catalyst & Bricolage Integration

Tobias Kremer tobias at funkreich.de
Thu Nov 23 08:44:23 GMT 2006

> Sure.  In some cases, we let people use the CMS to choose which fields
> will be required on a form.  The application needs to know this in a
> programmatic way.  It's anything specific to this instance of the
> application.  The most important thing is the name of the controller
> class to call.

Hmm .. Isn't this somehow violating the MVC principle to at least some
degree? I mean the controller's supposed to specify a view (i.e. template)
not the other way round, isn't it? Other than that the solution sounds
quite flexible to me.

> You understood correctly.  We publish a template (sometimes multiple
> templates) and a metadata file for every story that will run as an
> application.

Are your metadata files also stories? If I'm understanding you correctly
you have at least two files for every story (article):

/my/category/story.html
/my/category/story.stub or .xml or .whatever

What's your definition of "application"?

> Yes, that's one of the things we would pass in.  You could get around
> this in various ways though.  You could embed the story in the template,
> in a way that is quick to parse out with a simple regex, or use the URL
> itself as a key (since it's unique).

Yes, I also thought about a regex solution, but I don't feel very well with
this approach. Have to think about it some more. Using the URLs as (foreign)
keys could have a noticable impact on the database performance, I suppose.

-- Tobias