[Catalyst] RFC: file/path writing sub-class of Catalyst::Plugin::Static::Simple

apv apv at sedition.com
Sun Nov 26 20:42:27 GMT 2006

I'm probably about to write a sub-class of
Catalyst::Plugin::Static::Simple which writes the file to disk on the
first request. The reason is I like to have all my extra static files
(images, media, css, etc) in the same bundle as the application but I
also want to let Apache serve them, obviously. So I can either try to
keep a tree sync'd between my app path and my webserver path or do
this so the authoritative versions in the app path are written to
disk on first request. (Semi-)Permanent cache.

Do you think this is something useful enough to also put on the CPAN?
Other feedback?

Name? Catalyst::Plugin::Static::DiskWrite? The idea is not to be able
to check for freshness or other cache-like behavior but to write it
if it's not there and leave it at that. Used with things like:

   RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
   RewriteRule ^(.*) /index.fcgi/$1 [QSA,L]

Thanks!

–Ashley