[Catalyst] HTML::Widget and Unicode

Alejandro Imass alejandro.imass at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 18:50:11 GMT 2006

On 11/26/06, Carl Franks <fireartist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/11/06, Alejandro Imass <alejandro.imass at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > HTML::Widget is translating my UTF-8 characters into presumably ISO
> > LATIN-1. Can I stop HTML::Widget from doing this? I looked into
> > enctype but I don't think is for that, and if it is could someone
> > kindly offer an example? if so (supposing that enctyle is the answer)
> > what happens to filenames that use Unicode characters in an upload
> > field?
>
> Can you give an example of what's actually happening and when?
>
> If you're talking about the output of $result->as_xml, the characters
> are being HTML-encoded.

yes

> Upgrade to the latest cpan release of
> HTML::Element to fix it.

Yes. That was it. I upgraded to HTML-Tree-3.23 and it fixed the problem .

Wow! thank you *very* much. I decided to use HTML::Widget to speed up
part of an application I have to deliver by tomorrow and was
completely stuck on this issue.

> If that's not the problem, can you post more details to the
> HTML::Widget mailing list:

Thanks. I checked the archives before posting and there was _one_
reference to this problem posted in June and it talked about
HTML::Element::_xml_escape() being broken but I could not find that
sub in the version I had installed.

Anyway, thanks again because this simple upgrade fixed the issue apparently.

Best,
Alejandro