[Catalyst] Last Chance / Last Day: Web developmentplatformcontestand Perl / Catalyst

Sebastian Riedel sri-lists at oook.de
Thu Nov 30 21:48:58 GMT 2006

Jonathan Rockway wrote:
> Sebastian Riedel wrote:
>
>> Tobias Kremer wrote:
>> Take a look at Java, PHP and Ruby, all the marketing initiatives can be
>> traced back to a few smart companies.
>>

> What has the marketing gotten the community?  PHP and Ruby both suck in
> comparison to Perl (features / unicode / modules / speed / knowing wtf
> === really means), despite the fact that money is being poured into both
> of those languages by apparently-profitable companies.  It sounds to me
> like they're spending all their money creatively lying about the facts,
> whereas the p(?:[56]|arrot)-porters are actually improving their languages.

You just gave a perfect example why Perl needs marketing. :)
It is better for a lot of things, but the problem is nobody outside the
Perl community knows!

(As for Ruby, they are absolutely aware of their weaknesses and work
very hard on fixing them.
YARV the new virtual machine has just been merged into the ruby repository.)

> I for one don't really care if perl is "number one".  It's already
> better -- what more do you really want?

Thats a bit short sighted, without new developers learning Perl you'll
have a lack sooner or later.

--
sebastian