[Catalyst] Catalyst Performance issues

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Sat Oct 7 22:36:55 CEST 2006

> Maybe it'd be nice if someone came up with a faster drop-in
> replacement for TT... any volunteers? ;-)

I also noticed that TT is way too slow and am already working on it.
Hopefully it will be finished this weekend.

http://trac.jrock.us/cpan_modules/browser/templates

Obviously you don't get all of TT's features.  No EVAL, no MACRO, no
BLOCK.  I don't use any of that anyway.  I write my code in perl, not in
TT :)

Anyway, if you Need Something Now, try clearsilver.  The advantage is
that the entire dataset is fetched before the page is loaded.  This
means that clearsilver never needs to call into perl, which is the
slowest part of TT.  However, the syntax is really ugly, and fetching
1000s of rows from the database when 90% of them are going to be
discarded by a conditional in the template is pretty inefficient.
Careful coding can avoid that.  There's a reason Google and Yahoo use
Clearsilver and not TT.

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway

--
package JAPH;use Catalyst qw/-Debug/;($;=JAPH)->config(name => do {
$,.=reverse qw[Jonathan tsu rehton lre rekca Rockway][$_].[split //,