[Catalyst] Catalyst Performance issues

Perrin Harkins perrin at elem.com
Sun Oct 8 02:49:46 CEST 2006

Jonathan Rockway wrote:
>> Maybe it'd be nice if someone came up with a faster drop-in
>> replacement for TT... any volunteers? ;-)
>>
> I also noticed that TT is way too slow and am already working on it.

I think you'll have a very hard time doing it, unless you drop some of
the most popular features of TT, like being able to pass it objects
rather than just pure data structures.

> Anyway, if you Need Something Now, try clearsilver.  The advantage is
> that the entire dataset is fetched before the page is loaded.

There's no reason you can't do that with TT.  It will certainly perform
faster if you pass it pure data instead of objects that require extra
method calls.

> There's a reason Google and Yahoo use
> Clearsilver and not TT.

I don't think it has much to do with TT's performance.  They use many
different languages, not just Perl, and they often write their data
sources in C.  Those things make a templating tool with a C API a better
fit for them.

- Perrin