[Catalyst] (Beginner) Plugins

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Tue Oct 24 11:57:55 BST 2006

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 21:35:03 -0400, Alejandro Imass wrote:
> Wow, that was a prompt reply! I saw many of your plugins on CPAN!
>
> I just want to manipulate some images on the backend before I send them to
> the page. From just one base image I want to generate images of several
> sizes, and do some fancy stuff like making a degradation to black on the
> right side of an image (probably by layering a black degradation on top with
> ImageMagick). In any case, it's just some server-side image processing
> before I use them on the page. The cache will be handled by me, I mean each
> processed image will have a special name (extending the base image's name)
> and will reside in the orignal's image directory. I will be responsible for
> checking time-stamps and all that (in case the original image changed I will
> re-generate with the first request).

The only problem I see is with transformed images being cached, and
then the client rerequesting the image without going to the page
that generates the image.

If this is a problem then you should make the transformed images
dynamically generated, but I doubt this matters at all.

I would make sure to do something like

	foo/images/bah.jpg # original
	foo/transformed/bah.jpg

and not

	foo/images/bah.jpg
	foo/images/bah.transformed.jpg

since it's easier to delete the transformed images this way.

Good luck =)

--
  Yuval Kogman <nothingmuch at woobling.org>
http://nothingmuch.woobling.org  0xEBD27418