[Catalyst] User Generated Content (project collaboration)

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 10 08:09:10 CEST 2006

Hi,

I thought this thread had a lot of great ideas and was
kinda sad that it seemed like it didn't got anywhere.
So I thought I'd try to summarize the thread and see
if there are any followups.  If I get anything wrong
or misquote you please don't take offense.

Here is a link to the entire thread:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/catalyst/users/9204?search_string=User%20Generated%20Content%20%28project%20collaboration%29;#9204

The thread was started by roman at fili who was
interested in finding people who wanted to collaborate
on building a social networking framework on top of
Catalyst.  The poster laid out of list of ideas for
creating something that would allow you to quickly
roll out something with membership and some sort of
user generated content area.

It would be something generalized so that it could be
the basis of creating all sorts of different projects
of social networking nature.

Poster felt this sort of project would be both useful
to the community and potentially tap into the buzz
surrounding social networking sites.

John responded that he was working on a project that
could be a great consumer of such a framework and had
already done a lot of work.

jason.crummack at easysoft showed interest as he is
just beginning to prototype something like this.

zzbbyy at gmail said that InstantCRUD was going in
that direction, at least to cover the authentication
part of the requirement.

ddaupert at sbcglobal added that if you go back to the
Christmas wish list a lot of people are interested in
seeing more ready to eat components for Catalyst and
that now that Catalyst is more baked it's a good time
to start building this out.

dbix-class at trout mentioned that he was working on a
set of web widgets that could become building blocks
to such component, but they where not ready to
release, but he thought they'd be ready for the public
in short order.

At this point the thread got a little splittered.
There was an extended discussion on the merits of
automatic formbuilders like InstantCRUD and how they
might fit into this plan or not.  Some plans to meet
on IRC began but didn't pan out.  Some questions about
the web components mentioned by dbix-class at trout
were asked and answered.  gstead at ieee thought it
would be good to have a simple, lightweight CMS part
ready to roll for Catalyst.

Other people mentioned that it would be nice to have
this setup as a VMWare Appliance to make it easier for
people to get started using it.

roman at fili gave a more detailed plan for the
project, it's worth check out, see it at:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/catalyst/users/9240#9240

So, what do you all think?  I saw several willing
people.  I don't have a lot of free time right now,
but Id be willing to be a clearinghouse for interested
people.

Thanks!

John Napiorkowksi

Thread snipped, see entire thread at: