[Catalyst] Customizing Authentication/Roles

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Wed Sep 13 15:00:19 CEST 2006

Matt S Trout wrote:
[snip]
> Alternatively, you could point the user and role models at custom ones
> with an ACCEPT_CONTEXT that applies ->search({ site_id =>
> $current_site_id }) based on the request.

That makes sense, but the light isn't on upstairs this morning. :-/

That means I would create my own DB::Role and DB::User, rather than
letting Catalyst::Model::DBIC::Schema do it for me (Or not use
DBIC::Schema at all). It would seem the down side of that approach would
be that I'll already have a User and Role models for the non-Auth
stuffs. Any ACCEPT_CONTEXT crazyness would mean I would need two models
for the same Roles and Users; one set for controllers to use, and one
set just to make Auth happy.

But really, my Users and Roles models wouldn't be raw DBIC model at all,
 but more likely core modules used outside of Mango to do user/role
management.

The more I think about it, the more I don't think I want Mango being a
multiple sites in one instance kind of thing. That's too much complexity
for the short time frame, and removing that requirement makes things
much less complicated.

-=Chris