[Catalyst] patch: C::P::Compress::Deflate

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Tue Sep 19 22:26:38 CEST 2006

Right.  Think of it like this; your backend generates content, and your
frontend serves that content as if it were static.  Since you wouldn't
gzip your static HTML before serving it, it follows that your backend
server wouldn't compress it either.

Caching is a bit different.  I think it's best to do it on the frontend,
but if your frontend isn't smart enough to do it right (sessions), then
you'll have to let the backend do it.  Apache has some pretty
intelligent modules these days, though, so investigate those before you
do all the caching on the backend.  (Then there's memcached, which is
even farther back... but it serves a different purpose.)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway