[Catalyst] patch: C::P::Compress::Deflate

Wade.Stuart at fallon.com Wade.Stuart at fallon.com
Tue Sep 19 18:47:54 CEST 2006

> Thanks, Perrin.
>
> No, we don't use Catalyst to serve static pages in production.
> That's actually
> why I added the Static::Simple check. I like to be able to move
codedirectly
> dev -> testing -> production with only changing config files. My problem
was
> that Static::Simple messes with Deflate in devel (which is the only
> place I use
> S::S) for CSS and other files, since they have text/* mime types.
>
> I actually have a conditional in my base MyApp.pm file that checks if
running
> under mod_perl and only loads S::S if not under mod_perl. I was
> doing the same
> thing with the Compress module (only loading if running under mod_perl)
but I
> wanted to test deflation in dev under the dev server, and still use S::S.

I do understand what you are saying -- although I don't see any advantage
in doing so.  If you use the webserver to compress, testing compression on
the dev server not only does not test the behavior of production,  but also
may befoul the testing you are doing on dev that would normally match
production (think about unintended side effects from Cat compress plugins).

My suggestion would be to strip compress from your app completely, do light
dev with the dev server and then QA on a dev apache/light or whatever
webserver that you are using in production -- this gives you actual parity
between dev qa and production without introducing extra errors that may
give false positive failures.