[Catalyst] how to get started?

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Sat Sep 23 00:48:49 CEST 2006

A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Steve Atkins <steve at blighty.com> [2006-08-21 20:20]:
>
>>No. I really don't like using anything other than cpan to
>>install perl modules if I can possibly avoid it. I'm close to
>>making an exception for catalyst, though, so I may give
>>cat-install a try.
>

> You didn’t even look at it, did you?
>

>>(IIRC it's basically a wrapper script around CPAN ?)
>

> I don’t know if I’d call it a wrapper. I suppose you could. It
> sets up some overrides to automatically answer the setup
> questions of some of the modules involved and then uses the
> CPAN.pm API to drive an automatic installation. Works flawlessly
> for me every time.

I know I'm coming at this from over a month later but I have to second
this.  The only issues we have run into is installing DBD's and adding
other modules ( Catalyst or dependencies ).
    These are being installed on Linux-Vserver guests.  We use yum to
install those perl-Modules that are binary-pains in the butt.  As we
discover a new need or update we add the new module to cat-install
and/or run it.  Takes a few minutes as we've only got a T1 but it is
pretty much a watch the process run situation.  Nice when you want a
coffee break.  :-)

Rod