[Catalyst] Can Catalyst-Plugin-AtomServer support nontext/xhtml content?

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 25 19:58:59 CEST 2006

--- "A. Pagaltzis" <pagaltzis at gmx.de> wrote:

> * John Napiorkowski <jjn1056 at yahoo.com> [2006-09-25
> 19:00]:
> > Perhaps I don't fully understand how this works,
> but my current
> > understanding is that ATOM allows you to specify
> xml inside the
> > content tags as long as you set a type attribute
> of something
> > with 'xml' in it, like "application/xml" for
> example.
>
> The rules for XML MIME types are more restrictive
> than that, but
> otherwise this is correct.
>
> > Now the atom spec says I can do XML content and
> have it look
> > like (same example as above):
> >
> > <content type="application/xml">
> >   <member xmlns="http://mysite.com/ns#member" >
> >     <name>blah blah</name>
> >     <title>nobody</title>
> >   </member>
> > </content>
>
> Correct.
>
> > However nothing I do seems to get the XML::Atom
> plugin to work
> > this way. Now, I realize this is not a tradional
> use for this
> > kind of feed, but the specification seems to
> indicate it's a
> > valid one.
>
> It’s not just valid, it’s explicitly catered
> for. This was one of
> the use cases that was considered when “we”
> first drafted Atom
> (quote marks because I was not on the WG at the
> time) and
> remained a central concern throughout the process.
> Atom is not
> just for weblog delivery; think of it more as a
> webservice
> messaging wire format. It can do a lot of things
> besides weblogs.
>
> Check this out:
> http://www.codezoo.com/about/doap_over_atom.csp
>
> > Another approach I could take is how Google is
> doing this by
> > adding a new namespace and placing the data
> elements inside the
> > entry tag and not the content tag. Maybe this is a
> better way?
> > This would look (very roughly like)
> >
> > <entry member:xmlsn="http://mysite.com/ns#member">
> >     <member:name>blah blah</name>
> >     <member:title>nobody</title>
> > </entry>
>
> Please don’t. Atom is not RSS2. Most of the
> interesting things
> one might want to do can be done with the provisions
> of the core
> format, without any need for lots of underspecified
> and badly
> interacting extensions that contribute to the mess
> in RSS2-land,
> each requiring a special-case implementation.
>
> See also http://www.snellspace.com/wp/?p=314 for a
> critique of
> GData.
>
> > It just seems neater to me to place all my stuff
> inside the
> > content tag,

> [...]

Thanks for the links, these are all great examples for
me to show my group as examples of exactly what we are
trying to do.

After looking at the XML::Atom code I really don't
think I'm going to get this behavior without patches.
 That's an option for me since I have developer time
paid for already in this project.  As a temporary
workaround in development the Atom spec says I can use
a 'src' attribute instead of inline content.  In some
ways I like that better, makes the entry cleaner.
However I'm not see too many people do that.  Anyone
know if there is a good reason to stay away from
<content src="...' />

Thanks for all the suggestions, appreciated,

John