[Catalyst] catalyst++

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 29 18:22:44 CEST 2006

--- Garrett Goebel <ggoebel at goebel.ws> wrote:

> [...]
> ready-to-go magic,
> > you're going to have to compromise somewhere.
>
> I think Zbigniew Lukasiak has recently mentioned
> plans to modularize
> forms generation. You might want to contact and work
> with him on
> providing the capability to generate alternate Mason
> views.
>
> > Also, Jifty probably does exactly what you want
> (Lots of magic,
> > lots of
> > mason).  Unfortunately it's a bit too clever for
> its own good --
> > syntax
> > like:
> >
> > use MyWeblog::Record schema {
> >
> >   column title =>
> >         type is 'text',
> >         label is 'Title',
> >         default is 'Untitled post';
> >
> >   column body =>
> >         type is 'text',
> >         label is 'Content',
> >         render_as 'Textarea';
> > }
> >
> > has to be confusing to people who are new to perl.
>  (Why he couldn't
> > have just done
>
> Personally I wouldn't mind seeing schema's declared
> using the syntax
> supported by Object::Declare. However you want to do
> it, declarative
> programming in general is a good thing. Last time I
> looked at the
> Object::Declare code though, you couldn't declare
> nested objects.
>
> But isn't this a case of the pot calling the kettle
> black? I have to
> agree that the Jifty people tend to spend a lot of
> time writing
> clever code so that perl code won't look like perl.
> But that hasn't
> stopped people in the Catalyst community from
> advocating YAML.
>

> > Finally, I do have some ideas brewing in my mind
> about how to add more
> > Jifty-like magic on top of Catalyst... but I'm
> waiting to see how
> > Reaction pans out :)
>
> A link to Reaction please?
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Reaction/
> Looks interesting, but it hasn't been updated since
> May...
>
> How about some more specific ideas of what you'd
> like to see?
>
> I would like to see a cohesive set of modules
> demonstrating best
> practices that'd make it easier to assemble a web
> application. Jifty
> seems philosophy seems to be TOTW, whereas
> Catalyst's is TIMTOWTDI.
> And making a framework where TIMTOWTDI is a heck of
> a lot harder.
>
> Specifically, I'd like to see some:
>
> o  generic facility for input and output filtering
> for forms and
> RESTful web api's
> o  multi-attribute dispatch routing
> o  group ACL with groups that can contain groups
> o  forms interface with support for xforms and

I've been working on a system to use the ATOM API for
REST services with Catalyst and trying to make it easy
to hook up with Catalyst models.  Ideally this would
be a Model and View component.  I'm also looking at
this from the perspective of using xforms, probably
the formfaces libary (http://www.formfaces.com/)
although I have some concerns about that library since
there has been no development for 6 months and on the
mailing list I've been told they plan to release new
versions under an new license which may not be
opensource capatible.  In anycase I'd be happy to
share my code with you, but I'd warn that it's not
close to being CPAN ready.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'multi-attribute
dispatch routing'.  I have someone here working on
integrating Class::Workflow as a controller so you can
dispatch based on workflow states and not just on
actions.  Is that something that interests you?

--john