[Catalyst] [RFC] ditch svn

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Wed Apr 18 07:21:07 GMT 2007

I think it's pretty clear that Subversion is a failure for our project.  We
use topic branches heavily, and that's just not something svn (or really svk)
is designed for.

I hearby propose that we switch to git.  I envision each project in trunk to
be a separate repository.  That will allow us to easily manage commit
permissions, and keep branches sane (branching Catalyst-Runtime need not
affect Catalyst-Plugin-Foobar).  I'm willing to setup and administer All
Things Git if we decide to switch.

Please read mugwump's excellent article on svk -> git here:

http://utsl.gen.nz/talks/git-svn/intro.html

BTW, here's the complete Perl history imported into git:

http://git.catalyst.net.nz/gitweb?p=perl.git;a=summary

They even use Catalyst in the URL, how can we not switch? ;)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway

--
package JAPH;use Catalyst qw/-Debug/;($;=JAPH)->config(name => do {
$,.=reverse qw[Jonathan tsu rehton lre rekca Rockway][$_].[split //,