[Catalyst] Re: [Catalyst-dev] [RFC] ditch svn

Tom Lanyon tom at netspot.com.au
Wed Apr 18 12:22:48 GMT 2007

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 01:21:07 -0500, Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> wrote:
> I think it's pretty clear that Subversion is a failure for our project.  We
> use topic branches heavily, and that's just not something svn (or really
> svk) is designed for.
>
> I hearby propose that we switch to git.  I envision each project in trunk
> to be a separate repository.  That will allow us to easily manage commit
> permissions, and keep branches sane (branching Catalyst-Runtime need not
> affect Catalyst-Plugin-Foobar).  I'm willing to setup and administer All
> Things Git if we decide to switch.

I haven't seen any problems personally, but perhaps the issue Jonathan is having is that the Catalyst project is all in one big repository.

Perhaps splitting it into smaller repositories for separate projects, or even groups of projects, would suffice; rather than such a drastic change as switching software?

dec