[Catalyst] Re: [Catalyst-dev] [RFC] ditch svn

Adam Jacob adam at stalecoffee.org
Wed Apr 18 17:07:24 GMT 2007

On Apr 17, 2007, at 11:21 PM, Jonathan Rockway wrote:

> I think it's pretty clear that Subversion is a failure for our
> project.  We
> use topic branches heavily, and that's just not something svn (or
> really svk)
> is designed for.
>
> I hearby propose that we switch to git.  I envision each project in
> trunk to
> be a separate repository.  That will allow us to easily manage commit
> permissions, and keep branches sane (branching Catalyst-Runtime
> need not
> affect Catalyst-Plugin-Foobar).  I'm willing to setup and
> administer All
> Things Git if we decide to switch.

Why not just reorganize trunk?  The fact that every project hosted in
the
Catalyst repository is all under a single repository is perhaps your
real issue.

Something like:

Catalyst-Runtime/trunk
Catalyst-Runtime/tags
Catalyst-Runtime/branches
..
..
..
Catalyst-Action-REST/trunk
Catalyst-Action-REST/tags
Catalyst-Action-REST/branches

Would probably make more sense, in terms of repository management.
It would
also solve the permissions issues.

Adam