[Catalyst] How many models?

Jamie Neil jamie at versado.net
Thu Apr 26 15:47:46 GMT 2007

Hi All,

We're in the process of porting an existing CMS/Cart system to Catalyst,
and trying to work out how to deal with the database modelling. While
most of the tables will be accessed through a simple DBIx::Class::Schema
setup, there are a few which have more complex relationships that we
wish to hide behind custom methods.

We've come to the conclusion that this is best done by creating an
external module, but we're not sure whether we should create two
Catalyst models (one using DBIx::Class::Schema and one wrapping our
external module), or have a single model and access the simple tables
through the external module too. The first option seems simpler more
straightforward, but we don't want to end up with multiple database
connections (there is only one database) if we can help it.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks,

--
Jamie Neil | <jamie at versado.net> | 0870 7777 454