[Catalyst] Catalyst Unicode woes ...

Carl Franks fireartist at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 11:01:24 GMT 2007

On 09/08/07, Tobias Kremer <list at funkreich.de> wrote:
> Following up on a conversion I started on the DateTime mailing-list I'd like to
> ask if it is really neccessary to use C::P::Unicode if a site uses
> utf8-encoding?
> I have the problem that up until now everything worked absolutely fine without
> C::P::Unicode, Template::Stash::ForceUTF8, Template::Provider::Encoding or any
> other unicode plugin because I believed that if everything is utf8 you don't
> really have to worry about it that much.
> Now I recently incorporated DateTime::Locale to get a list of localized month
> names. Spitting them out in my templates revealed a <questionmark> symbol
> instead of all german umlauts. I took a look at DateTime::Locale and everything
> seems to be correct (use utf8 at the top, etc) so this can't be the culprit.
> encode("utf8")-ing the month names makes them look correct. I asked about this
> on the DateTime mailing list and everybody suggested a truckload of plugins to
> incorporate in Catalyst which _ALL_ break everything else on my site except the
> month names which are displayed fine then. It looks like everything gets
> encoded twice when utilizing these plugins.


I tried jrock's advice of adding C::P::Unicode to the Cat app you sent
me a couple days ago - and it does fix the encoding problem.


More information about the Catalyst mailing list