[Catalyst] Catalyst Hosting

Danny Warren danny at io.com
Fri Aug 10 23:24:53 GMT 2007

Michele Beltrame wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a couple of slices at SliceHost, which seems very good to me (and support
> is just fine!).
>
> OK, they're Rails coders, but they do well... ;-)
>
> Michele.

Another vote for SliceHost here, been with them for a while now and more
satisfied than I have ever been with another hosting company.  I give
them huge props for writing ALL their own hosting panel apps and keeping
everything useful and lightweight (even if it is rails, heh).

I tried a handful of VPS providers (but skipped linode for some reason,
don't recall why) before deciding, and what sold me on SliceHost was:

* Developer-friendly admins (that is a HUGE plus right there)
* The cleanest out-of-the-box VM images of any provider I have dealt
with so far
* Tons of distros to choose from, and they are proactive about offering
new / updates ones (they are gunning for a BSD image when the technology
catches up, which I am excited about)
* They don't oversell their server space (which leads to the only
downside, having to wait for them to allocate space for you)
* Their homemade panel software is awesome:
   * You can console in to your box via an ajax webapp if something goes
horribly wrong (!!)
   * They offer a regular rotating backup routine for only $10 extra per
month
   * Insanely easy to wipe or restore a VPS image if you bork it (no
support tickets, just click a button)

Don't mean to sound like a shill, but I burned through a handful of bad
VPS providers while waiting for my slice to be ready and was overjoyed
when I got to it.  The VM images at some of those places were messier
than a shared host environment.

For shared hosting, I still like asmallorange.com for the price and the
support, but stay away from their VPS service (comes pre-loaded with
cPanel, and don't dare touch the apache config or the whole thing goes
to hell).

Danny