[Catalyst] FCGI automatic restart / memory leaks

Tobias Kremer list at funkreich.de
Thu Aug 16 13:32:36 GMT 2007

Quoting Bernhard Graf <catalyst2 at augensalat.de>:
> You should definitely do that. Not only for this case - daemontools (or
> similar like runit) are superior for nearly every server service on *ix
> OSes. Check out http://smarden.org/runit/runscripts.html and compare
> the scripts with typical System-V run scripts (not mentioning the
> supervision concept in general).

I suppose that the whole fcgi-pm process will be restarted instead of individual
fcgi processes, correct? That'd mean a downtime of about 5 seconds which would
render it useless to me :(

> Why two FCGI process managers? To compensate FCGI downtimes? Did you
> find a way to tell lighttpd not to talk to an FCGI process that is
> down? I only get a 500 error in that case.

I just _hope_ that lighttpd will do the right thing as the error log tells me
this when a backend server goes down:

connect failed: Connection refused on unix:/srv/webapp.socket
backend died; we'll disable it for 5 seconds and send the request to another
backend instead: reconnects: 0 load: 1

--Tobias