[Catalyst] improving usability / doc

Anthony Gardner cyclewood_ltd at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 10:45:14 GMT 2007

I'll be happy to help out.

Will be working on 3 C projects in the near future and will need to re-read the docs so helping with tarting them up will help my learning.

Am on holiday for the next three weeks and will unsubscribe from the mailing list today but I'll re-subscribe and check the archives upon my return for progress and/or ideas.

I don't drink beer :( (yeast allergy) but G&T sounds good ;)

-Ants

"J. Shirley" <jshirley at gmail.com> wrote: On 8/16/07, Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> wrote: Adam Bartosik wrote:
> How many people decided to take different framework just because
> catalyst doc still.... sucks?
"Sucks" is somewhat hurtful to the many contributers, but whatever, I
see what you mean.

There has been talk of putting the POD on our site and making it look
nicer (search.cpan.org's navigation sucks).  There has been talk of
taking good articles from Planet Catalyst and giving them cleanup and a
permanent home.  There has been talk of putting the Planet Catalyst feed
on the main site.  There has been talk of completely revamping the
design.  There has been talk of getting a team of happy wikignomes to
 polish up the wiki.

The recurring theme is that /this is all talk/.

Someone needs to Just Fucking Do It.  Implement the things above, and
I'll buy you a case of your favorite beer.  If someone commits, I will
move up the mojomojo migration on my priority list, so we can have some
decent software running the wiki.

With gnomes to tend the wiki, the upcoming book, prettyified API docs,
and a front page with more information, I think we'll have the best
offering of any framework.  Momentum is what we need, and right now
there is none.  We need someone to commit to getting this stuff done (or
even starting!) some time before the heat death of the Universe.  So the
deal is, if you do this stuff, I will give you beer (is $50 reasonable?
it is to me).

I will help out with anything that doesn't involve HTML or design.  Let
me know what you need, and I will help you get it.  Others share the
same sentiment.

Let's do this.

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway

I've been working on this in my free time -- trying to go to a unified look and feel that we can move forward with, with a full style guide for contributors, etc.

Here's the mockup that I'm working on:
http://staff.toeat.com/~jshirley/Catalyst/NewSite/

Suggestions welcome, patches more so.  You can grab this work from:
http://dev.catalystframework.org/repos/Catalyst/branches/site-notrac/

We have a ton of content, and no where to put it and no centralized style yet.

I agree with Jonathan, lets JFDI.

-J

--
J. Shirley :: jshirley at gmail.com :: Killing two stones with one bird...