[Catalyst] FastCGI config for standalone mode

Will Hawes wdhawes at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 23:42:51 GMT 2007

I've set up a Catalyst app with Apache2 and FastCGI using the config
described under "Standalone server mode" at
http://search.cpan.org/~jrockway/Catalyst-Manual-5.701002/lib/Catalyst/Manu=
al/Cookbook.pod#Standalone_server_mode.
Everything works fine when the FastCGI server is running via the helper
script and I can use the app without problems.

The docs state that when the backend FastCGI server is down, Apache will
return a 502 error. The suggestion is to use an ErrorDocument directive to
display a "down for maintenance" page when this is the case. However, Apache
is actually returning a 500 error, not a 502. Apache's error log contains
only the following:

[Thu Aug 30 23:26:19 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (111)Connection
refused: FastCGI: failed to connect to server "/tmp/myapp.fcgi": connect()
failed
[Thu Aug 30 23:26:19 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] FastCGI: incomplete
headers (0 bytes) received from server "/tmp/myapp.fcgi"

I have copied everything verbatim from the docs so assuming they are
correct, I'd have expected this to work. I must have missed something.

Does anyone have this setup working successfully? Why would I be getting a
500 error as opposed to a 502 here?