[Catalyst] Handel missing a forward to a view?

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Wed Dec 12 13:49:54 GMT 2007

Collin Condray wrote:
> Hi, I'm a new user of Catalyst (5.701) and I'm trying to incorporate Hand=
el
> (1.00005) into my existing app which is based loosely on the Catalyst
> tutorial. I've run the Handel scaffold and set up the associated tables in
> the database. However, when I try to go to myapp.domainname.com/cart/add I
> get the following error.

Welcome to Catalyst, and Handel.
A better place for your questions is probably:

http://search.cpan.org/~claco/Handel-1.00006/lib/Handel/Manual/About.pod#MA=
ILING_LIST

> =

> Couldn't render template "file error - cart/default: not found"
> =

> I checked the permissions of my files and they are correct. The default
> Handel templates are located where they're supposed to in the root/cart
> directory. I do have other controllers that render TT templates correctly=
 as
> well so TT is working. I finally got the cart to appear when I added the
> following code to the end of sub default in Cart.pm <http://cart.pm/>:
> =

> $c->forward( $c->view('TToolkit') );
> =

> and the cart worked normally. When I proceed to the checkout catalyst dies
> on line 240 of Checkout.pm <http://checkout.pm/>:
> =

> $c->forward('render');
> =

> and I get the following error:
> =

> Couldn't render template "file error - checkout/default: not found"
> =

> I obviously have something wrong with the way my views are set up and I
> could use a clearer understanding of how the view mechanism works. I've a=
lso
> found references to similar problems (
> http://grokbase.com/topic/2006/08/04/handel-couldn-t-render-template-file=
-error-cart-add-not-found/UVdMM_5zEb2fAvFXgnmWt7tx5vM,
> http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2005/11/17/handel.html?page=3Dlast) but don't t=
hink
> they apply to this problem.
> =

> If I can provide any further information on my problem, please let me know
> and I'll be happy to provide it.
> =

> Thanks,

First, a disclaimer. The Helper generated code is old, and not that
bright. It was written long before some of the latest TT and Cat updates
that changed defaults, like TEMPLATE_EXTENSION, default_view and other
goodies. Some things to check:

Make sure TT and Cat are up to date. Make sure you have a default_view
set to TToolkit and no TEMPLATE_EXTENSION set. Make sure RenderView is
installed. I'd assume that some of this is caused by code assuming that
you're using TT instead of TTolkit, and possibly that you have
RenderView action installed.

How many views do you have, and what are they named?

The Handel Helper generates a TT view on it's own anyways:

    $helper->mk_component($app, 'view', 'TT', 'TT');

Did you run the helper against a new Cat app, or an existing one with
other code in it?

-=3DChris