[Catalyst] Perl Foundation Grants Call for Proposals

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 5 15:20:24 GMT 2007

Hi,

Maybe old news for some people but there is a call for
proposals for grants from the Perl Foundation.  Might
be a good chance to get some funding to take care of a
few bits that people generally don't like to do for
fun or don't generally get paid for.  Maybe we could
brainstorm a bit, settle on one or two good ideas and
then get someone who has experience writing grant
proposals to type it up?  If nobody steps up to do the
writeup I can volunteer for it. I do have a lot of
writing and presentation experience, just never wrote
a formal proposal before which is why I'm asking for
someone with more experience to take the lead on it.

Here's the link;

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/02/grants_calls_for_proposals.html

Some ideas to jump start the thinking:

-- More docs for Reaction.  The code and concept for
this is really great and I think it fills an important
gap for Catalyst but I think the learning curve seems
a bit high for average programmers, at least at this
point.

-- Helpers to automatic common stuff, like creating a
web interface to manage user accounts, or a forum,
etc.  This idea got kicked around a while ago and I
recall someone actually wrote up quite a few details.

-- A version of the classic "Pet Store" example web
application, built using Catalyst best practices.
This was a detailed example of a web app that the Java
people used to explain how to build an application
from the ground up, and was intended to show off all
sort of best practices.  I think the C# people cloned
this, trying to show off how C# was easier.  This
would be more of an advocacy thing than an improve the
framework thing.

Not saying the above are great ideas, but I hoped to
get your brains going.

Thanks!
John