[Catalyst] Re: memory usage of mod_perl process

Jeffrey Ng jeffreyn at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 18:52:03 GMT 2007

I am the coworker of Fayland who posted the topic "memory usage of mod_perl
process".

Our company has invested quite some time on migrating our perl code to
catalyst (more than half year of time by 7 programmers). However, I am
starting to worry that moving to catalyst is causing too much overhead for
our processes and thus severely slowing down our site.

I remember the memory usage of each process before catalyst was around 25Mb.
And now the new code is using around 90MB as fayland said. During peak hour,
our servers were able to handle 30+ requests per sec before catalyst
upgrade. Now we are only able to handle around 10 requests per sec.

As a result, the response time of the site is much slower after the upgrade.
it takes at least 2 sec for the browser to start responding during non-peak
hours.

Here's the memory stats for a typical process:

Memory Usage (in bytes):

  Size       :   97107968 (92.6M)
  Share      :    6012928 ( 5.7M)
  VSize      :   97107968 (92.6M)
  RSS        :   85131264 (81.2M)

Memory Segments Usage (in bytes):

  Text       :     253952 ( 248K)
  Shlib      :          0 (   0K)
  Data       :   78696448 (75.1M)
  Stack      :          0 (   0K)

I have read practical mod_perl. I tried to preload many of our modules in
startup.pl. But the shared memory value doesnt change at all. Also, doesnt
5.7M shared memory usage sound too small comparing to the 92.6M total size?

I wonder how much is your shared memory? Is the memory overhead of catalyst
huge? Is catalyst inherently slow?

-- =

Jeffrey Ng