[Catalyst] Re: memory usage of mod_perl process

Perrin Harkins pharkins at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 19:05:45 GMT 2007

On 2/8/07, Jeffrey Ng <jeffreyn at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have read practical mod_perl. I tried to preload many of our modules in
> startup.pl. But the shared memory value doesnt change at all. Also, doesnt
> 5.7M shared memory usage sound too small comparing to the 92.6M total size?

You're not looking at the right thing there.  This is not actual
shared memory, but rather copy-on-write sharing.  It will never show
in your SHARE section.  On versions of Linux with a 2.6 kernel, you
can use the techniques in Apache::SizeLimit to get a sesne of how much
sharing is going.  This doesn't work with older kernels.

A reliable way to tell if your sharing is improved is to start up
apache without preloading and look at the available memory from
"free", and then put in the preloading and restart apache and check it
again.  You should have more free memory after preloading, allowing
you to run more processes.

- Perrin