[Catalyst] Template::Provider::DBI and Catalyst

Tobias Kremer list at funkreich.de
Tue Feb 13 10:02:21 GMT 2007

Following up on a recent post to the list concerning templates in the database
I'm wondering what the current status of Template::Provider::DBI is and if
anyone is using it in production within Catalyst? I just found out that it
seems to be incompatible with Catalyst::View::TT::ForceUTF8, for example
(ForceUTF8 seems to ignore LOAD_TEMPLATES. Haven't looked at its source code
yet to tell what's going on).

Looking at the source of Template::Provider::DBI I see that the database handle
is stored within the object which AFAIK is created once during server start by
my View class initialization. I was told that storing database handles in
objects for subsequent queries should be avoided by any means. Of course it
could just be me who got burnt doing this under mod_perl :)

There's also an error message on every request:

"prepare_cached(SELECT date_modified FROM templates
WHERE filename = ?) statement handle DBI::st=HASH(0x91eac08) still Active"

I assume this is because there is no $sth->finish() statement:
http://search.cpan.org/~timb/DBI-1.53/DBI.pm#prepare_cached

Thanks for any clarification!

--Tobias